Are you new to aligners like I am? The biggest question I had when starting my journey down straight-teeth lane was how to keep everything clean. Here are 4 tips on how to clean Invisalign:
- Always rinse your aligners with cold water whenever you take them out. This will help remove saliva and any tricky bacteria, like the kind that causes bad breath, or plaque that may have transferred from your mouth.
- Don’t use hot water to clean your aligners, as the heat could deform or damage the plastic, undoing all of your hard work.
- Store your Invisalign in a cool, dry place to eliminate the possibility of further bacterial growth. You don’t want them getting dirty when they aren’t in your mouth!
- Give the container a good cleaning with soap periodically as well!
- Clean your aligners with antibacterial soap or toothpaste and a soft toothbrush, gently brushing them until all of the nooks and crannies have been covered. Then rinse with cold water to wash away the debris.
- You can also soak your aligners in denture cleaner to ensure a clean and fresh orthodontic appliance. Unlike mouthwashes that can stain your Invisalign, which defeats the purpose of them being invisible, denture cleaners are made for this task, and they can give your aligners a fresh smell.
- Thoroughly brush and floss your teeth before putting your Invisalign back in your mouth. You don’t want any food debris stuck against your pearly whites because it can lead to a buildup of harmful plaque or other bacteria.
If you ever have any questions about cleaning your aligner, be sure to ask your dentist.