PLAQUE... you definitely have heard about it, and you most definitely do not want it on your teeth!
What exactly IS plaque? Where does it comes from, what does it do,and how do you get rid of it?
- Plaque is a soft, sticky substance that naturally forms on your teeth and gums, yet it cannot be seen because it is colorless.
- Plaque harbors and protects invisiblt massesof bacteria that live inside your mouth.
- That bacteria uses the sugar from the food you eat to produce an acid attack that eventually breaks down the tooth enamel, resulting in tooth decay.
- It also produces other substances that cause a reaction that can lead to gum disease.
But it’s not all gloom and doom when it comes to plaque. Here’s the good news- it’s easy to remove it when caught early.
If the plaque is left unremoved, it hardens in time into tartar. Tartar attracts bacteria - which causes more damage to your teeth and gums, and tartar can only be removed during a professional cleaning by your dentist.
You may be wondering how do you remove something you cannot see?
The only way to see the plaque is by staining it. Your local drug store sells small red staining tablets that can indicate where the plaque is on your teeth. But you don’t really have to see the plaque to get rid of it. You can do that by simply brushing and flossing every day.
Follow these five simple tips to keep your mouth healthy and plaque-free:
- Brush teeth properly twice daily
- Use a flouride toothpaste
- Pay attention to the gumline, that's where the plaque hides
- Floss properly at least once a day
- Get regular dental checkups and cleanings
If you keep up on preventing plaque, you will protect your smile from tooth decay and gum disease!
For further information, visit us at www.deltadentalnj.com
- Twitter: @deltadentalNJ
- LinkedIn: linkedin.com/company/deltadentalnj