Protect your information and identity

Should you use a Tax Identification Number or Social Security number?

Delta Dental requires the dentist’s state license number and Tax Identification Number (TIN) on all claim forms. The numbers on the claims must match the information in our records or the claims will be rejected. Accuracy is necessary, because those numbers are used to report annual payment amounts to federal, state and local tax agencies.

A dental practice has two options for their business TIN: the dentist’s Social Security number (SSN) or an Employer Identification Number (EIN). An EIN is a nine-digit number assigned by the Internal Revenue Service to identify the tax accounts of a business. The EIN identifies only the business, even if the dentist uses his or her name as the business name.

Delta Dental uses the Tax Identification Number (TIN) that the dental office enters on the claim form to match information in our records and to report payments we make for governmental tax reporting purposes. But a business TIN or SSN may also be accessible to patients, brokers, other health or dental carriers. (For example, an employer group or broker will have access to these numbers when they ask us for a utilization report of dentists used by plan members.) For that reason, Delta Dental encourages all dentists to protect their information. For additional information, please visit and/or consult with qualified legal, tax or financial advisers regarding your own or your business’ unique situation.

REMINDER: Federal law (HIPAA) requires all health care providers to use their National Provider Identifier (NPI) for electronic transactions as of May 23, 2008. Learn more about obtaining your NPI.